WHAT IS A TRAVEL CLEARANCE?
Travel Clearance is a document issued by the Department of Social Welfare and
Development (DSWD) Field Offices or its attached agency, Inter-Country Adoption
Board (ICAB) whichever is applicable to a minor abroad unaccompanied by any of
the parent or those persons having parental authority or legal custody over the child.
WHO IS A MINOR?
Minor (also referred to as “Child”) as defined in RA 7610 refers to a person below
eighteen (18) years of age or one who is over eighteen (18) but is unable to fully take
care of or protect himself/herself from abuse, neglect, cruelty, exploitation, or
discrimination because of physical or mental disability or condition.
WHO NEEDS TO SECURE A TRAVEL CLEARANCE?
● Filipino minor who is traveling alone using the Philippine Passport only
for their travel outside the Philippines;
● Filipino minor traveling with prospective adoptive parent/s for purpose
of inter-country adoption;
● Filipino minor traveling with a person other than his/her parent/s, legal
guardian or person exercising parental authority/legal custody over
● Filipino minor who is illegitimate and is traveling with his/her biological
● For married minors, the same requirements apply to that of unmarried
minors travelling abroad.
WHO ARE EXEMPTED TO SECURE TRAVEL CLEARANCE?
● A minor accompanied by the following:
1. Either or both of the minor’s parents, if legitimate minor;
2. The minor’s biological mother, if illegitimate minor;
3. The minor’s father who has been granted sole parental authority or custody by
the proper court, if the minor is illegitimate;
4. The minor’s legal guardian;
5. The person, including one of the minor’s parents, who was granted sole
parental authority or legal custody by the proper court, in which case the court
decision should specifically include a statement to this effect, i.e., naming the
person to whom sole parental authority of legal custody over the minor has
6. Minor’s adoptive parents if the minor is granted with adoption decree &
Certificate of Finality.
● A minor who is an immigrant or a permanent resident abroad, with
foreign passport, or whose parents are in the Foreign Service
holding diplomatic/official passport such as Ambassador/General
Consul/Consul/Attaches, provided he/she is holding a valid
passport and a visa such as dependent visa/identification card
which serves as proof that the travel does not constitute child
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS IN SECURING A TRAVEL CLEARANCE?
For the first time applicant:
1. Duly accomplished Application Form;
2. Birth Certificate of minor issued by Philippine Statistics Authority (Original
*Note: If the minor’s Birth Certificate is late registered, please attach any of
the following; Minor’s Baptismal Certificate or Immunization record or form
3. PSA issued Marriage Certificate of the parents if legitimate child (Original and
4. For unmarried parents, Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) of the mother
issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (Original and Photocopy).
5. In case of deceased parent/s, PSA issued a Death Certificate (Original and
6. Notarized (notarized at the place of residence) Affidavit of consent signed by
both parents, or the person exercising parental authority or legal custody over
the minor, whichever is applicable, permitting the minor to travel to a foreign
country indicating the specific destination, purpose of travel, inclusive date of
travel, the accompanying person and its relation to the minor.
6. 1. In the absence of both parents or an appointed legal guardian, the relative’s
consent in the order of preference provided under Article 216 of the Family
Code of the Philippines (Executive Order No. 209 as amended) shall prevail
and in which case, an Assessment Report by the Social Worker of the
LSWDO should also be submitted with a copy of the parent/s/legal guardian’s
valid identification card with specimen signature, and visa of parents if working
abroad (for legitimate children, both grandparents who have the custody of the
minor). For illegitimate or non-marital child, consent of maternal grandparents
7. Valid ID of parents with specimen signatures. If parents are working abroad,
include a copy of their valid passport and visa.
8. Two (2) original colored passport size photos (white, red, or blue background)
of the minor taken within the last six (6) months from the time of application. No
scanned picture is allowed.
9. Valid passport of the minor’s traveling companion. Notarized Affidavit of
undertaking if traveling companion is a non-relative of minor.
10. Notarized affidavit of support and certified true copy of any evidence to show
financial capability of sponsor (parents/legal guardian or other person/agency
shouldering the expenses)
● Certificate of Employment
● Latest Income Tax Return
● Bank Statement, etc.
*Note: For minors traveling alone
1. Duly accomplished application form;
2. Original copy of the previous Travel Clearance issued by DSWD MIMAROPA;
3. Notarized (notarized at the place of residence) affidavit of consent signed by
both parents, the solo parent and the legal guardian, whichever is applicable,
permitting the minor to travel to a foreign country indicating the specific
destination, purpose of travel, inclusive date of travel, the accompanying person
and its relation to the minor.
3.1 In the absence of both parents or an appointed legal guardian, the relative’s
consent in the order of preference provided under Article 216 of the Family Code
of the Philippines (Executive Order No. 209 as amended) shall prevail and in
which case, an Assessment Report by the Social Worker of the LSWDO should
also be submitted with a copy of the parent/s/legal guardian’s valid identification
card with specimen signature, and visa of parents if working abroad (for
legitimate children, both grandparents who have the custody of the minor). For
illegitimate or non-marital child, consent of maternal grandparents is required.
4. Valid ID of parents with specimen signatures. If parents are working abroad,
include a copy of their valid passport and visa.
5. Two (2) original colored passport size photos (white, red or blue background)
of the minor taken within the last six (6) months from the time of application. No
scanned pictures will be accepted;
6. Photocopy of the minor’s traveling companion valid passport. Notarized
Affidavit of undertaking if traveling companion is a non-relative of minor.
Additional requirements for minor/s – under special circumstances.
For Filipino minor travelling unaccompanied/alone:
● Unaccompanied minor certificate from the airlines
● Waiver from the parents releasing DSWD-MIMAROPA from any
liability/responsibility in case of untoward incident during the travel of the child.
● If minor will be visiting a relative abroad, include letter of invitation/support and
guarantee from the inviter/sponsor with an attached copy of his/her passport
NOTE: NO MINOR BELOW 13 YEARS OF AGE SHALL BE ALLOWED TO
For Filipino minor migrating to another country:
● Visa petition approval
For a minor who will study abroad:
● Acceptance or Certificate of Enrollment or Registration from the school where
the minor is to be enrolled.
For a minor who will attend conference, study tour, competition, student
exchange program, summer camp, pilgrimage, world youth day and other
● Certificate of participation with list of participants from the school or local
organization with letter head and signature of official head.
● Affidavit of undertaking of companion indicating the safety measures
undertaken by the sports agency (for sports competition)
● Signed invitation from the Sponsoring agency/organization abroad with
itinerary of travel and duration of the activity/travel
For minor going abroad for medical purposes:
● Medical abstract of the minor
● Recommendation from attending physician that such medical procedure is not
available in the country, letter from sponsor
For minor/s whose parent/s are seafarers:
● A certification from the manning agency attesting to the parent’s employment
● Photocopy of the Seaman’s Book
For abandoned minor with alleged missing parent, if parents are married, the
following shall be the requirements:
● Social Case Study Report executed by a licensed social worker of the local
government unit (LGU)
● Blotter report from either the local police or barangay certification from the
locality or the last known address of the alleged missing; and
● One (1) returned registered mail to the last known address of the alleged
missing parent(s) or known relative(s)
For Filipino minor going abroad for inter-country adoption:
● Placement Authority issued by the ICAB
● Authority to Escort issued by the ICAB
For Filipino minor under Foster Care:
● Notarized affidavit of undertaking by the Foster Parent/s indicating the
purpose of travel, destination, duration of travel and a provision stating the
commitment of the Foster Parent on the personal appearance of child and
foster parent to the Regional Director or his/her duly authorized
representative, within 5 days upon return to the country.
● Notarized affidavit of consent from the Regional Director or authorized
● Foster Placement Authority (Original and Photocopy)
● Foster Care License of the Family (Original and Photocopy)
● DSWD Certification of Child Declaring Legally Available for Adoption
(CDCLAA) except those under Kinship Care wherein their parents did not
relinquish the minor for adoption.
● Return tickets
For Filipino minor under Legal Guardianship:
● Certified true copy of Court Order on Legal Guardianship
For Filipino minor who is the subject of an ongoing adoption case:
● No adoptee shall be issued a travel clearance unless a decree of adoption
and certificate of finality is issued by the court. Further, no minor who was
issued Pre-Adoption Placement Authority (PAPA) shall be issued travel
clearance unless a court order is issued allowing the minor to travel with the
Prospective Adoptive Parent.
“The social worker shall review and evaluate the documents submitted and
ensure that it is genuine and valid. An interview shall likewise be conducted
and if necessary, additional documents may be required from the applicants.”
Other Frequently Asked Questions…
WHO WOULD GIVE THE CONSENT FOR THE TRAVEL OF A TOTALLY
ORPHANED MINOR WHO HAS NO APPOINTED LEGAL GUARDIAN?
Paternal/maternal grandparents who exercise parental authority over a minor whose
parents are both deceased may issue the consent even without guardianship order
from the Court. But in cases where both the paternal/maternal grandparents are
deceased, the relative given the Guardianship Order over the minor by the proper
court may provide the consent to travel.
CAN I RENEW MY TRAVEL CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE TO THE SAME
REGIONAL OFFICE WHERE I PREVIOUSLY APPLY IN?
If the minor’s residence is under the jurisdiction of the Field office you previously
applied in, yes you can still apply for renewal. However, if the minor residence is not
under their jurisdiction you cannot renew the travel clearance certificate to their field
office instead you may apply as a new applicant to the respective Field Office who
has jurisdiction over the minor’s residence.
WHAT ABOUT THOSE CHILDREN WHOSE PARENTS HAVE MARITAL
CONFLICT AND ARE ON HOLD ORDER?
A minor who is the subject of an on-going/pending custody battle before the court
between his/her parents and is travelling abroad with either of his/her parents will not
be issued a travel clearance unless a court order is issued allowing him/her to travel
with said parent. The family of the minor shall be responsible to file a petition in court
for the issuance of a hold departure order, inclusion of the minor’s name in the
Bureau of Immigration’s watch list as well as in the delisting of the name of the
minor, once the issue of custody has been resolved by the court.
CAN A TRAVEL CLEARANCE BE ISSUED TO ILLEGITIMATE CHILDREN WHO
ARE STILL APPLYING FOR THEIR VISA IN THE EMBASSY?
Illegitimate children are under the custody of the mother. If they will be traveling with
the mother, they are not required to secure a travel clearance from the DSWD. If
they are traveling with a person other than the mother, they must secure a travel
FOR MINOR/S WHOSE PARENTS’ PLACE OF WORK IS NOT LAND-BASED
(e.g. SEAFARERS) IS AN AFFIDAVIT OF CONSENT APPLICABLE?
The notarized affidavit of consent is not applicable for minor’s parent whose place of
work is not land-based such as seafarers, however a certification from the manning
agency attesting to the parent’s employment and photocopy of the Seaman’s Book
The Travel Clearance Certificate may be obtained within Three (3) working days
upon submission of the required documents.
A fee of Php 300.00 per child with One (1) year validity
A fee of Php 600.00 per child with Two (2) years validity
“In case of loss of the issued travel clearance, a new set of requirements should be
submitted to the Field Office and a new travel clearance will be issued. This should
not be taken as a renewal of travel clearance but a new application.”
IS THERE A VALIDITY PERIOD FOR A TRAVEL CLEARANCE?
A DSWD travel clearance is valid for a period of one (1) or two (2) years depending
on the period applied. However, should there be amendments/ changes in the
issued/ used travel clearance, amendments can be made free as long as the travel
clearance is within the validity period.
WHERE CAN ONE FILE THE APPLICATION?
The application for travel clearance, together with the supporting documents required
shall be submitted/filed by the parent/s or legal guardian or a duly authorized
representative at the DSWD Regional Office that has jurisdiction over the minor’s
Service Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Mondays – Fridays (Except Holidays)
A.O #12 series of 2017 also known as “Omnibus Guidelines for Minors Travelling Abroad”
For further details, please visit: https://www.dswd.gov.ph/issuances/AOs/AO_2017-
(You may download this form here……)
*Travel Clearance Application Form
*Affidavit of Support and Consent
*Consent to Travel
*Affidavit of Undertaking (For Foster Parent/s)
*Affidavit of Undertaking (For Non Relative Companion)
*Affidavit of Undertaking (For attending conference, study tour, competition,
student exchange program, summer camp, pilgrimage, world youth day and other
For more inquiries, kindly contact the Field Office who has jurisdiction over
the minor’s residence (see the Directory of the Field Offices below):
DSWD-National Capital Region
389 San Rafael Street, corner Legarda Street,
Tel/Fax: 8-310-1435, 8-733-0010 local 210
● Caloocan City
● Las Pinas
● Pasay City
● Quezon City
● San Juan
DSWD Field Office I
Quezon Avenue, San Fernando, La Union
Tel/Fax: (072) 888-2505/888-2184
● Ilocos Norte
● Ilocos Sur
● La Union
DSWD-Field Office II
3 Dana Pagyaya, Regional Government Center
Carig Sur, Tuguegarao City, Cagayan
● Nueva Vizcaya
DSWD-Field Office III
Government Center, Maimpis,
San Fernando, Pampanga
Tel/Fax: (045)861-2413 (telefax)
● Nueva Ecija
DSWD Field Office IV-A (CALABARZON)
Alabang-Zapote Road, Muntinlupa City
Tel/Fax: (02) 387-2632 or 850-8380/807-1518
DSWD Field Office IV-B (MIMAROPA)
1680 F.T. Benitez corner General Malvar Streets., Malate, Manila
Tel/Fax: (02) 5336-8107 local 24004
● Oriental Mindoro
● Occidental Mindoro
DSWD Field Office V
Magnolia St. PBN Buraguis, Legaspi City
Tel/Fax: (052) 821-7920 or 480-5346/480-5754
● Camarines Norte
● Camarines Sur
DSWD Field Office VI
M.H. del Pilar Street, Molo, Iloilo City
Tel: (033) 300-0526/ 337-6221
● Negros Occidental
DSWD Field Office VII
MJ Cuenco Avenue corner Gen. Maxilom Ave., Cebu City
Tel/Fax: (032) 233-8779 or through trunkline no. 412-9908
● Negros Oriental
DSWD Field Office VIII
Magsaysay Blvd., Tacloban City
Tel/Fax: (053) 321-3090 or 321-1176/ 321-1007
DSWD Field Office IX
General Vicente Alvarez St., Zamboanga City
Tel/Fax: (062) 991-6030, 991-6056 (trunkline)/993-0652
● Zamboanga del Norte
● Zamboanga Sibugay
● Zamboanga del Sur
DSWD Field Office X
Masterson Ave., Upper Carmen, Cagayan de Oro City
Tel/Fax: (088) 858-88-92/858-89-59
● Misamis Oriental
● Lanao del Norte
● Misamis Occidental
DSWD Field Office XI
Suazo St., cor. Magsaysay Ave., Davao City
Tel/Fax: (082) 226-28-57/227-8746
● Compostela Valley
● Davao del Norte
● Davao del Sur
● Davao Oriental
● Davao Occidental
DSWD Field Office XII
9506-Purok Bumanoag, Brgy. Zone 3, Koronadal City
Tel/Fax: (083) 520-0572 or 228-3180/228-8637
● South Cotabato
● Cotabato City
● North Cotabato
● Sultan Kudarat
● General Santos City
DSWD Field Office CARAGA
R. Palma St. Butuan City
Tel/Fax: (085) 346-0113/815-9173
● Agusan Del norte
● Agusan Del sur
● Surigao del Norte
● Surigao del sur
● Dinagat Islands
DSWD Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR)
40 North Drive, Baguio City
Tel/Fax: (074) 444-3209 or 444-3262/442-7917
● Mountain Province
4,867 total views, 2 views today